**Did you hear? 20% off Initial Virtual Nutrition Counseling for weight loss and more. Use code at checkout: INSTABALANCE.
This is me multi-tasking during a workshop I taught yesterday on eating a healthy breakfast– I stir up Apple Cinnamon Blueberry Overnight Oats as I profess my love for cinnamon (and other spices) and highlight the difference between a 1 serving and 3 serving apple (apples shown below- but FYI, it’s a 1 cup serving). Here are three take home points from my workshop with pictures and recipes…
- Make breakfast a priority. There is good reason why breakfast is known as “the most important meal of the day.” Besides beating those HANGRY emotions, the benefits of eating a balanced breakfast include improved concentration, memory, alertness, mood and weight control– newsflash– people who eat breakfast end up consuming less calories over the course of the day.
- Include a fruit or vegetable (or both). Besides providing essential nutrients like vitamin A for healthy eyes and skin, vitamin C for healthy teeth and gums and fiber for gut health (and more), fruits and vegetables are naturally low in calories and high in nutrients– making them an efficient food for weight management– and they taste good too.
- Eat REAL FOOD. Forgo heavily processed bars, protein powders and pastries. Wholesome and energizing breakfast staples include whole grain cereals and breads, nut butters, eggs and unsweetened or lightly sweetened dairy (can’t do without the fruited yogurt?- meet SIGGY’s).
Recipe: Apple Cinnamon Blueberry Overnight Oats
Servings: 1 Total Time: 8-12 hours Active Time: 10 minutes
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup plain, 0% Greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk
- ½ cup diced apple
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
Stir yogurt, oatmeal, apples, vanilla and cinnamon together in a jar (or large coffee mug). Twist lid onto jar and refrigerate 8-12 hours overnight. Top with blueberries when ready to eat!
Warning: Parameter 2 to WC_Catalog_Restrictions_Query::posts_where() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/acroba6/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 298